The Department of Greek Philology at Democritus University of Thrace was established in Komotini in 1993 (Presidential Decree 365/93, Govt. Gaz. no. 156/13-09-1993) and admitted its first students in the academic year 1995-96. It became administratively autonomous in 2008.
The Department’s mission is:
- To cultivate and promote the study of Classical, Byzantine, and Modern Greek Philology and Linguistics through academic teaching and scholarly research.
- To study and carry out research on the various cultural and intellectual manifestations of Hellenism diachronically
- To provide its students with the essential knowledge and skills that will advance their scholarly and professional career.
The Department, which admits around 250 students each year, currently has 24 academic staff members, more than 800 undergraduate students and about 220 students reading for postgraduate degrees (MA, PhD, Post-Doc).
The Department comprises three divisions:
1. Classical Philology
2. Byzantine and Modern Greek Philology
and provides the following Programmes of Study:
- Undergraduate Studies Programme (four-year degree course, 240 ECTS)
- MA Postgraduate Studies Programme: “Texts and Culture” (MA Programme, 3 semesters, 180 ECTS), “Integration Pshycopedagogy” (Interinstitutional MA Programme in ICT and Special Education, 4 semesters, 120 ECTS)
- Doctoral Studies (minimum: 3 years).