Traineeship for students of the Department of Greek Philology – Democritus University of Thrace
Module title: Traineeship for fourth year students.
It concerns students of all three specializations who have successfully completed prerequisite modules. Traineeship is compulsory.
The purpose of the traineeships:
– To supply students with solid, essential, theoretical as well as innovative applied knowledge, that will enable them to work in secondary education (public and private schools) and also provide them with other employment opportunities (publishing houses, linguistic technology companies, the press, museums, organizations of cultural inheritance management, libraries, social support structures, advertising companies).
– To establish two-way communication between the Department and the society/production entities.
The course’s objectives for students are:
– to train in employment fields connected directly or indirectly with the academic disciplines on offer by the Department.
– to comprehend, enhance and transform their theoretical assumptions.
– to provide them the knowledge and skills necessary to expand their professional horizons.
– to explore various theoretical approaches and methods as well as their application in each professional environment.
– to experiment with practices and methods suitable for each professional occasion.
The traineeship aims at producing the following results:
– Practical application of the knowledge and skills acquired by the students during their studies.
– Consolidation of academic knowledge through the process of professional training and development of work ethic.
– Comprehension, enhancement and transformation of their assumptions regarding teaching. Trial application, teaching practices and methods, applicable to different learning conditions.
– Connection to and familiarization with work life, improvement of employment prospects and acquiring of relevant experience.
– Smooth transition from training to production, businesses and other bodies.
– Familiarization with work environment and the requirements of a professional setting.
– Smooth and successful access to employment.
Proposed Supporting/Preparatory Learning Activities:
1st meeting (3 hours): The new curricula
2nd meeting (3 hours): 2003 curricula: teaching orientation, curricula and textbooks, learning plan, assessment in the teaching process.
3rd meeting (3 hours): The project method, teaching scenarios.
4th meeting (3 hours): Teaching-learning differentiation.
5th meeting (3 hours): Child and adolescent psychology.
6th meeting (3 hours): Microteaching: Theory and Practice or Assessment-Observation- Materialization
7th meeting (3 hours): Teachers activities (activities organized by teachers in school, in the library, in the museum):
Animation activities for kids and teenagers
Designing and materializing library activities
Designing and materializing museum activities
8th meeting: Crisis management (in school or other work space).
9th meeting: First aid (in school or other work space).
10th meeting: Cultural heritage management, activities at school.
11th meeting: Seeking job opportunities.
12th meeting: New challenges for philologists: Humanities and entrepreneurship.
13th meeting: Entrepreneurship: Planning and materialization, Business Plan. The productivity model of East Macedonia and Thrace Region. Internal factors: demographic characteristics, current labour market conditions.
Students choose the organization, where they undertake their training. The minimum duration of the traineeship is one month.
Assessment of traineeship (jointly by the organizations involved, students, supervising tutor, leading academic investigators).
1. Final report (reporting on activities at the organization where the traineeship is undertaken)
2. Participation in the preparatory/supportive actions.
3. Filling in the relevant forms.